BACON JAM!!!

We have discovered Bacon Jam and we are addicted!

I remember watching the Cooking Channel and it mentioning Bacon Jam in two of their shows (Food Crafters and Eat Street).  I didn't know what Bacon Jam was and I thought it look interesting but that was it.  Well when we went to the Spence for GNO we had Bacon Jam and I finally understood what the hype was about.  It's a sweet bacon spread that taste amazing.  It was so amazing that I was still thinking about it weeks later.

So of course I had to make my own Bacon Jam.  I found a great recipe from Martha Stewart that you can find here.  This recipe is cooked in a slow cooker for 4 hours which turns the bacon, brown sugar, and coffee until a wonderful sweet syrupy jam.   I was excited to make this recipe because I have the wonderful All Clad Slow cooker which has a cast aluminum insert that you can use on the stovetop so I never have to worry about a skillet.  I am always happy to finds recipes to use this baby.




I tried to take some stop by step pictures of the process since The Chosen One mentioned how much she likes it.  The problems it gets annoying and it's really time consuming.  I did what I could and here it is.

Cut 1 1/2 pounds of bacon

Brown the bacon in a skillet or in your aluminum clad insert

Chop 2 onions and smash and peel 3 garlic cloves

Still browning

Bacon done. That looks so good. I LOVE BACON!!!


I forgot to take picture of saving a tablespoon of bacon grease and then browning the onions and garlic.  


Get 1/2 cup of Cider Vinegar and 1/4 cup of Maple Syrup

3/4 cup of brewed coffee (love my Keurig)

Everything combined

My beautiful slow cooker

Done.  Doesn't that look yummy?

Pulse it in a food processor

And enjoy with some French Bread and Brie

Really enjoy!!!


I hope you all enjoyed the step by step.  I think I am awful at it and my camera gets so yucky.  Next time I will convince Addison to help me take pictures.  Now go and make some Bacon Jam!!!

Here's the recipe:

Slow Cooker Bacon Jam   from  MarthaStewart.com


Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
2 medium yellow onions, diced small
3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3/4 cup brewed coffee

Directions

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet (reserve for another use); add onions and garlic, and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add vinegar, brown sugar, maple syrup, and coffee and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up browned bits from skillet with a wooden spoon, about 2 minutes. Add bacon and stir to combine.
Transfer mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker and cook on high, uncovered, until liquid is syrupy, 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Transfer to a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped. Let cool, then refrigerate in airtight containers, up to 4 weeks.

Signature
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed