Happy Fat Tuesday

Sorry for not blogging but I have been so busy.  I was suppose to have a relaxing Spring Break but I don't get a Spring Break from being a mom and a wife.  Yesterday, I continued my de-clutter and cleaning mission.  I can say after this week the house will be spotless.  I also made cashew chicken for dinner last night.  I think I made it to get my Chinese food fix that wouldn't make me sick.  :)  I also made strawberry jam since we had 2 pounds of strawberries in the refrigerator that were about to go bad.

Yummy Strawberry!!!

Look at Luna begging.  She loves strawberries.

Emmy is begging now.

We don't know why she's begging she's doesn't like strawberries.

Addison making crushing the strawberries.

The strawberry jam turned out great.  Addison had plain greek yogurt with jam and then had strawberry jam on croissants.  I need to start giving away jam I think we have too much. 

Today I have been making phone calls, setting up dentist appointments, paying bills and taking Addison to his activities (so the usual).  Oh but I did make chili tongiht.  I have found the best chili recipe on the Williams-Sonoma website.  I have made all types of chili but when we made this one last month we knew it was the best so far.  The recipe calls for chuck roast cut up in 1-inch cubes instead of ground beef.  We use buffallo instead of beef to make it more delicious.  I swear it's the best chili you will ever make.  Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
4 1/2 lb. beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
5 Tbs. vegetable oil
3 large yellow onions, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 celery stalk, diced
2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
10 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 cup chili powder
2 Tbs. ground cumin
1 Tbs. dried oregano
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 cup beef broth
2 cans (each 28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup finely ground cornmeal
8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
3 cups tortilla chips
Guacamole for serving
Sour cream for serving

Directions:

Season the beef generously with salt and pepper. In the stovetop-safe insert of a slow cooker over medium-high heat, warm 1 Tbs. of the oil. Add one-third of the beef and sear until well browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Sear the remaining beef in 2 more batches, warming 1 Tbs. oil in the insert before searing each batch.

Reduce the heat to medium and warm the remaining 2 Tbs. oil. Add the onions, carrots, celery and bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano and coriander and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the beef, broth and tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper.

Place the insert on the slow-cooker base, cover and cook on high according to the manufacturer’s instructions until the meat is tender, about 5 hours; during the last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in the kidney beans, black beans and cornmeal.

Position a rack in the middle of an oven and preheat the broiler. Top the chili evenly with the tortilla chips and sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese. Transfer the insert to the broiler and broil until the cheese is melted, about 4 minutes. Serve with the remaining cheese, guacamole and sour cream alongside. Serves 10 to 12.

Williams-Sonoma Kitchen.
They also say to use a smoke gun to give the chili and smokey taste but I leave that out.  It is still great without the smoke flavor.  We will be eating chili for the next 2-3 days and won't be complaining.  


Yummy Buffalo meat.  We are definitely not Vegan.

Browning the meat in the slow cooker insert. 

Using the chopper to chop onions.


I smell meat!!!

BEGGING!!!!

I also made the chocolate marshmallow cake for dessert.  That bad thing, we had papa drama so no one really got to enjoy the chili or cake.  Addison and I did get to enjoy the marshmallow filling.  I think Addison enjoyed too much of it.  He passed out with a stomach ache.  Here's the cake:

Addison getting in the marshmallow filling.

Chocolate cake

Yummy but it got everywhere.  Luna will be licking the kitchen all week.

Gooey filling.

Finished product.

Well since Addison is in a marshmallow coma,  I'll tell you tomorrow how everything tasted.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed